Dhaka Fire

The 2010 Dhaka fire was a fire in the city of Dhaka, Bangladesh, on 3 June 2010 that killed at least 117 people.

The fire occurred at the Nimtali area of Old Dhaka.

The fire was started when an electrical transformer exploded. The head of the fire department speculated that the fire was fanned by chemicals and other flammable products stored in shops. The density of the residential area affected made it difficult for firefighters to quell the blaze. Also, the narrow lanes of Old Dhaka and staircases of old buildings made it difficult for fire service equipment to enter the area.

The fire affected multiple residential buildings in the Nimtoli area, and trapped residents inside apartments. The fire started at 10.30 pm and lasted for over three hours. At least 117 people were killed and over 100 injured by the fire. The fire affected a wedding party, which exacerbated the casualties. One of the buildings affected by the fire had no fire escapes and its windows were covered by metal grills.

The injured were treated at the Dhaka Medical College Hospital, which struggled to cope with the large number of patients suffering burns and smoke inhalation. According to a doctor at the hospital, most of the deaths appeared to have been caused by smoke inhalation rather than burns.

The death counts from Thusday night's roaring blaze at Old Dhaka's Nimtali has swelled to 117.

Dhaka's district commissioner Muhibul Haque said magistrates overseeing search operations gave the counts.

Firefighters are still looking for bodies underneath the debris.

He said 18 of them had yet to be identified. Most of the dead were women and children.

At 5am on Friday, the fire fighters decided to end their operation after an eight-hour battle with the blaze with the death toll then at 88, of which 87 people had died in the fire itself and another person at hospital.

Authorities said the death toll is expected to rise as rescue workers pull more bodies from the smouldering debris.

Up to 150 people, many suffering from serious burns, were taken to hospitals in the city.

It is believed the blaze was started by an explosion in an electrical transformer in the Kayettuli area of the capital.

The fire spread quickly through nearby tin-roofed homes and commercial buildings.

"It has caused a huge devastation," said fire official Nazrul Islam.

He said the victims included guests of a wedding taking place on the roof of a nearby building.

TV footage showed firefighters and residents ferrying the injured to hospital on rickshaws.