Geraldo Rivera Ordered by The Pentagon to Leave Iraq After Revealing Troop Positions
He was with a (U.S.) military unit in the field and the commander felt that he had compromised operational information by reporting the position and movements of troops.”— Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman
During a Fox News broadcast, Rivera began to disclose an upcoming operation, even going so far as to draw a map in the sand for his audience. Rivera was traveling with the 101st Airborne Division. The military immediately issued a firm denouncement of his actions, saying it put the operation at risk, and nearly expelled Rivera from Iraq. Two days later, he announced that he would be reporting on the Iraq conflict from Kuwait.
Geraldo Rivera, the Fox News Channel correspondent who broadcast a report from Iraq on Sunday night that gave details of the position and plans of United States troops, is expected to be pulled from the country on Tuesday, military officials said yesterday.
The expected decision by Fox, a unit of the News Corporation, to remove Mr. Rivera from the battlefield, after intense pressure by the military to do so, followed a day of conflicting statements.
Yesterday morning, an official at Central Command headquarters in Camp Saliya, Qatar, said Mr. Rivera's reporting had compromised ''operational security'' and that he had been escorted back to Kuwait.