Crash of Air China Flight 129

Eleven seconds after the call on the emergency frequency, the second officer reported to the Tower controller that they were on the circle approach.

At 11:20:17 the captain took over control from the first officer and said he was going to turn base. He slowly began a widening turn, causing the first officer to urge him: "turn quickly, not too late." Meanwhile the flight was cleared to land . At 11:20:32 the captain disconnected the autopilot and banked the plane to the right. Twenty-two seconds later the first officer cautioned: "Pay attention to the altitude keeping," and the captain asked him to help him get a visual on the runway. Due to the limited visibility they were not able to see the runway. The first officer then advised the captain to initiate a go around, but the captain did not respond. At 11:21:15 the first officer said, "Pull up! Pull up!" Pitch attitude was increased to 11.4 degrees but thrust was not increased. Two seconds later the aircraft impacted a mountain, about 4.6 km from the runway.

Hundreds of rescue workers resumed the search Tuesday for survivors of a Chinese airliner that plowed into a mist-shrouded mountain in southern Korea. At least 119 people were confirmed dead, but somehow 38 of those aboard survived the fiery crash and six were still missing.

Air China Flight CA129 from Beijing was approaching Busan, South Korea's second largest city, in heavy rain and fog when it hit the 990-foot-high forest-covered mountain Monday morning.

The Boeing 767 shattered and caught fire upon impact, leaving a trail of fallen trees 30 yards wide and 100 yards long. The survivors were pulled from the wreckage, but many were in serious or critical condition. Most of the dead were Koreans.

Air China Flight 129 (CCA129, CA129) was a flight from Beijing Capital International Airport, Beijing, People's Republic of China to Gimhae International Airport, Busan, South Korea. On April 15, 2002, the jet on this route crashed into a hill near Busan, killing 129 of 166 on board. This crash is currently recorded as the deadliest aviation accident in South Korea.

The Boeing 767-200 took off at 0837 local time (0037 UTC). After nearly 2 hours in flight, it arrived near Gimhae airport in light rain and mist. At 1120 local time (0220UTC), CA129 received clearance to land at runway 36L from Gimhae tower, but the aircraft circled the runway again after a missed approach due to low visibility. After an attempt to circle-to-land on runway 18R (the same runway from the opposite direction), the crew concentrated too much [citation needed] on the weather and ATC communications while going below the Minimum Safety Altitude (MSA), and crashed into a hill at 1140 local time (0240UTC). The aircraft broke into parts and caught fire. 37 survived including the captain.