Andrew Wood dies of a drug overdose at 24
On March 16, 1990, Wood was found in a comatose state by his girlfriend, having overdosed on heroin.
Wood was taken to a hospital and placed on life support. Despite being responsive, Wood had suffered a hemorrhage aneurysm, losing all brain function, with physicians suggesting turning off his life support on March 19.
Apple was released posthumously later in the year, receiving positive reviews. David Browne of The New York Times stating that "Apple may be one of the first great hard-rock records of the 90's" and that "[Andrew] Wood could have been the first of the big-league Seattle rock stars."