New York International Airport (Idlewild Airport) Renamed John F. Kennedy International Airport

JFK Airport was originally known as Idlewild Airport (IATA: IDL, ICAO: KIDL, FAA LID: IDL) after the Idlewild Golf Course that it displaced.

The airport was originally envisioned as a reliever for LaGuardia Airport, which was already showing signs of insufficient capacity in the late 1930s. Construction began in 1943; approximately $60 million was initially spent, but only 1,000 acres (400 ha) of land on the site of the Idlewild golf course were earmarked for use.

The project was renamed Major General Alexander E. Anderson Airport in 1943 after a Queens resident who had commanded a Federalized National Guard unit in the southern United States and who had died in late 1942. In March 1948, the New York City Council again changed the name of the airport to New York International Airport, Anderson Field, but the name "Idlewild" remained in common use until 1963.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey leased the airport property from the City of New York in 1947 and maintains this lease today. The first commercial flight at the airport was on July 1, 1948; the opening ceremony was attended by President Harry Truman. Upon opening Idlewild, the Port Authority cancelled foreign airlines' permits to use LaGuardia, effectively forcing them to move to the new airport.

The airport was renamed John F. Kennedy International Airport in 1963, one month after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

The original name of JFK Airport was Idlewild Airport. It was named, when construction began in 1942, for the Idlewild Golf Course that the airport was built on. The initial planned size of the airport was only 1,000 acres. The airport was planned as a relief to the overcrowded LaGuardia Airport, already too busy for its size.

Construction of the airport began in 1942 with modest ambitions. Only 1,000 acres (4 kmĀ²) of land on the site of Idlewild golf course were earmarked for use. The golf course provided the airport's original namesake, Idlewild Airport. First commercial flights began on July 1, 1948. The airport was formally dedicated as New York International Airport on July 31, 1948. It was re-dedicated on December 24, 1963 as John F. Kennedy International Airport, following action of the Mayor and Council of the City of New York, and a resolution of the Commissioners of the Port Authority. After the September 11, 2001 attacks, JFK was one of the first airports in the United States to be temporarily closed.