"Lubbock Lights" Sightings First Publicized

At 9:10 p.m. on Aug. 25, 1951, Dr. W. I. Robinson, professor of geology at the Texas technological College, stood in the back yard of his home in Lubbock, Texas and chatted with two colleagues.

The other men were Dr. A. G. Oberg, a professor of chemical engineering, and Professor W. L. Ducker, head of the department of petroleum engineering. The night was clear and dark. Suddenly all three men saw a number of lights race noiselessly across the sky, from horizon to horizon, in a few seconds. the gave the impression of about 30 luminous beads, arranged in a crescent shape. A few moments later another similar formation flashed across the night. This time the scientists were able to judge hat the lights moved through 30 degrees of arc in a second. A check the next day with the Air Force showed that no planes had been over the area at the time. This was but the beginning: Professor Ducker observed 12 flights of the luminous objects between August and November of last year. Some of his colleagues observed as many as 10. Hundreds of nonscientific observers in a wide vicinity around Lubbock have seen as many as three flights of the mysterious crescents in one night. On the night of Aug. 30 an attempt to photograph the lights was made by 18-year old Carl Hart Jr. He used a Kodak 35-mm camera at f 3.5, 1/10 of a second. Working rapidly, Hart managed to get five exposures of the flights. The pictures exhibited by Hart as the result of this effort show 18 to 20 luminous objects, more intense than the planet Venus, arranged in one or a pair of crescents. In several photographs, off to one side of the main flight, a larger luminosity is visible -- like a mother craft hovering near its aerial brood.

One of the most impressive ufo sightings ever took place in the town of Lubbock, Texas, in August and September of 1951. The sightings were photographed (above) and reported by hundreds of eyewitnesses, many of whom claimed to be able to make out a wing-like outline of a craft that was flying overhead. The first reported sighting took place on August 25th by an employee of the Atomic Energy Commision in Alberquerque, New Mexico. Both he and his wife stated they had seen a huge object with bluish lights on its rear edge pass overhead. The lights seemed to be about 800 feet overhead, and the pair could make out the vee wing shape of the craft. That same evening, several college professors sitting on a porch in Lubbock noticed a semi-circular formation of lights move quickly across the sky. Several hours later, the lights suddenly appeared again, this time glowing with a bluish color.