American Forces Land at Utah Beach through Operation Overlord
Utah Beach was the codename for the right flank or westernmost of the Allied landing beaches during the D-Day invasion of Normandy, as part of Operation Overlord on 6 June 1944.
Utah was added to the invasion plan toward the end of the planning stages, when more landing craft became available.
Utah Beach, about 3 miles (5 km) long, was the westernmost of the five landing beaches, located between Pouppeville and the village of La Madeleine, which became the right flank anchor of the allied offensive along the left bank (western bank) of the Douve river estuary. German sector code was W5;
Despite being substantially off course, the U.S. 4th Infantry Division (part of the VII corps) landed there with relatively little resistance, in contrast to Omaha Beach where the fighting was fierce.
At 0430 hrs, elements of the 4th and 24th cavalry squadron reached the Saint-Marcouf Islands, facing Utah beach in order to seize what was supposed to be an advanced post or a small fort. At 0530 hrs, the elements were landed and the desert islands were occupied.
In the mean time, the transfer of the troops in the LCPV was held safely and the first wave arrived at the agreed hour on the departure line.