Third Day of the 'Four Days of Naples'

On the third day of fierce clashes in the streets of Naples, the organization dell'insurrezione was still left to individual capipopolo neighborhood, in the absence of all contacts with the forces of structured 'antifascism as the Front National (direct emanation of CLN). Were local figures emerging, meanwhile, who took command of operations in various districts of the city, as the professor Antonio Tarsia in Curia to the Vomero, the lieutenant colonel Bonomi to Salvator Rosa, the captain Francesco Cibarelli the Duomo, the captain Mario Orbitello a Montecalvario, the Captain Stefano Fadda a doctor Chiaia, the employee Tito Murolo to Vasto, while among the youth was noted Adolfo Pansini [4], high school student vomerese Sannazaro. Cook in the district, the Germans attacked in force with tanks (the Panzer "Tiger") and not more than fifty rebels tried strenuously to object but had to suffer the heaviest budget of 12 dead and over 15 injured. The worker district of Ponticelli was a heavy bombardment, after which the German troops procedettero to indiscriminate massacres of the population from penetrating inside civilian homes. Other fighting came close to the 'airport of Capodichino and Ottocalli Square, where three airmen died in Italy. In the same hours, at the German headquarters at Corso Vittorio Emanuele (among other things repeatedly attacked by insurgents) was negotiation between the colonel and lieutenant Scholl Stimulus for the return of prisoners of the necklace; Scholl got to have free passage for get out of Naples, in exchange for the release of the hostages who were still prisoners in the sports field. For the first time in Europe, the Germans made a deal in front of the insurgents.

The Eighth Army had been making quick progress from the 'toe' in the face of German delaying actions. It united its front with the Fifth Army on 16 September, and captured the airfields near Foggia, on the east coast, on 27 September. These would give the Allied air forces the ability to strike new targets in France, Germany and the Balkans. The Fifth Army captured Naples on 1 October (the first major European city to be liberated during WW II), and reached the line of the Volturno River on October 6th. This provided a natural barrier, securing Naples, the Campainian Plain and the vital airfields on it from counterattack. Meanwhile the British Eighth Army had advanced to a line from Larino to Campobasso. The whole of southern Italy was now in Allied hands, and the drive northward could begin.