First Day of the 'Four Days of Naples'

On September 27, after a large haul of Germans seized in various parts of the city about 8,000 men, 400, perhaps 500 armed men opened the fighting.

One of the first sparks of the fight broke out at the quarter Vomero where, in Pagliarone, a group of armed men stopped a car and killed the German Field Marshal who was driving. During the day, fierce fighting one another in different areas of the city between the insurgents and the German soldiers who were now to begin evacuation operations, including the news (later proved to be false) about an imminent Allied landing at Bagnoli. A lieutenant of the Italian, Enzo Stimulus, having placed in charge of a group of 200 insurgents, he distinguished himself particularly in the assault all'armeria of Castel Sant'Elmo that fell only in the evening, not without bloodshed; Indeed, the Germans, asserragliati, among others, both within the Villa Floridiana both the Campo Sportivo Series (in the heart of the Vomero), intervened in force to give battle. A group of people headed in the same hours to the Bosco di Capodimonte, where, according to some voices that were circulating in the city, the Germans were conducting some prisoners to death, was developed as a plan to prevent a group of Germans to undermine guastatori the Bridge of Health for the interruption of connections with the center of the city, which was successfully implemented the next day by a squad of sailors. In the evening, they were attacked and plundered the stores of weapons to barracks via Foria and Via San Giovanni a Carbonara.

The Eighth Army had been making quick progress from the 'toe' in the face of German delaying actions. It united its front with the Fifth Army on 16 September, and captured the airfields near Foggia, on the east coast, on 27 September. These would give the Allied air forces the ability to strike new targets in France, Germany and the Balkans. The Fifth Army captured Naples on 1 October (the first major European city to be liberated during WW II), and reached the line of the Volturno River on October 6th. This provided a natural barrier, securing Naples, the Campainian Plain and the vital airfields on it from counterattack. Meanwhile the British Eighth Army had advanced to a line from Larino to Campobasso. The whole of southern Italy was now in Allied hands, and the drive northward could begin.