Battle of Toungoo

On the 24th of March, the Japanese 112th Regiment made frontal attacks on the Oktwin positions while the 143rd Regiment with the aid of friendly local Burmese made use of the cover of the jungle and wooded area to the west of the city to advance six kilometers to the north and attack the of Toungoo airfield and a nearby rail station. It was only defended by an engineer battalion and its commander withdrew in a panic. This cut the 200th Divisions communications to the north, and left it encircled on three sides.

Dai Anlan abandoned the outlying positions to concentrate his defense near the city walls of Toungoo. 598th Regiment defended the northern part of the Toungoo defense, 599th Regiment held the south of the city and 600th Regiment defended the west. Divisional Headquarters moved from the city to the eastern bank of the River Sittang to avoid Japanese air and artillery attacks, and also to safeguard the remaining supply route to the east portions of a Replacement Regiment which had arrived the previous day were posted on the eastern bank of the Sittang River, where they were to extend the positions to cover the remaining lifeline of the division as well as the divisional HQ.

At 0800, on March 25 the Japanese launched an all out attack on all three sides of the city, with the 143rd Regiment on the left, the 112th Regiment on the right, and the Cavalry Regiment plus a company of infantry attacking along the Sittang River. The objective being to press the Chinese forces against the Sittang where it would be annihilated. Despite local penetrations in the north-western part of the defensive perimeter, no major progress was made due to heavy Chinese resistance until 2200 when Japanese troops infiltrated Chinese positions in the north-western part of the Toungoo citadel, soon followed by a full battalion.

On March 20, the 143rd Regiment plus cavalry units attacked the positions of the Chinese Cavalry Regiment north of River彪关, driving the Chinese forces back with heavy losses. The bulk of the regiment were withdrawn to the north of Toungoo, leaving only a company of cavalry and infantry each to delay the advancing Japanese. On March 21, Japanese forces brushed aside the delaying forces and reached the divisional outposts at 鄂克春.