Ford Anglia is First Produced
The Ford Anglia was a British car from Ford in the UK. It was related to the Ford Prefect and the later Ford Popular.
The Ford Anglia name was applied to four models of car between 1939 and 1967.
1,594,486 Anglias were produced, before it was replaced by the new Ford Escort.
The patriotically named first Ford Anglia, launched soon after Britain declared war on Germany in early September 1939, and given the internal Ford model code of E04A, was a facelifted version of the Ford 7Y, a simple vehicle aimed at the cheap end of the market, with few features. Most were painted Ford black. Styling was typically late-1930s, with an upright radiator. There were standard and de-luxe models, the latter having better instrumentation and, on pre war models, running boards. Both front and rear suspensions used transverse leaf springs and the brakes were mechanical.
A bulge at the back enabled a spare wheel to be removed from its vertical outside stowage on the back of the car and stowed flat on the boot floor and usefully increased luggage space, although some back seat leg room was sacrificed to the luggage space, being reduced from 43¾ inches in the Ford 7Y to 38½ inches in the Anglia.
The domestic market engine was the 933cc straight-4 side-valve engine familiar to drivers of predecessor models since 1933. The 1172 cc straight-4 engine from the Ford Ten was fitted for some export markets, including North America where imports began for model year 1948; these cars used the slightly more aerodynamic "three-hole" grille from the 1937-8 Ford Ten 7W, prefacing the 1949 E494A facelift. They also had sealed beam headlights and small, separate parking lights mounted underneath as well as dual tail lights, into which flashing turn signals could be added without adding additional lights.
The car retained a vacuum-powered wiper with its tendency to slow down or stop above about 40 mph (64 km/h), the point at which the suction effect from the induction manifold disappeared: however, the Anglia's wipers were supported by a vacuum reservoir which partially addressed the propensity to stop entirely when the car was accelerated.
A contemporary road test commended the Anglia's ability to pull away from 5 or 6 mph (8 or 10 km/h) in top gear. Compulsory driving tests had only recently been introduced in the UK: most potential buyers would approach the vehicle without the benefit of formal driving tuition. The cars did have synchromesh between second and top gears, but not between first and second, so that many would have sought, wherever possible, to avoid en route changes down to first.
The 2-door Anglia is similar to the 4-door E93A Ford Prefect.
Production, hindered by the closure of Ford's factory during the Second World War, ceased in 1948 after a total of 55,807 had been built. Initial sales in England actually began in early 1940. Production was suspended in early 1942, and resumed in mid 1945. In Australia, the E04A was built from 1940–1945, and again from 1946-1948.
Launched just before the out break of the Second World War in 1939, the Ford Anglia (E04A) would form the basis of a model range that would remain in production for the next 20 years. Based on the old 7Y 8hp model the Anglia used a very simple mechanical layout that included mechanical brakes and a sidevalve engine.
All Anglia's used a two door saloon body that was almost always finished in the famous Ford black paint. Equipment and trim were as simple as possible but helped Ford keep the price as low as possible. Production of this Anglia derivative ended in 1948.
Manufacturer Ford of Britain
Assembly Dagenham, England
Halewood, England from 1963
Predecessor Ford 7Y
Successor Ford Escort
Layout FR layout