Louis Miller murdered at home.

Wednesday, September 9th, 1914

Louis M. Miller, a farmer and stock raiser living in the Bristle Ridge section five miles southeast of Monroe, was assinated, by unknown parties about 8:30 o'clock last night as he was entering the gate to his home. Miller was in Monroeyesterday afternoon, returning home after dark. He dismounted from his horse at the front gate to the yard around his home, led his horse inside and mounted the animal again when half a dozen shots were fired at him. People at the Miller home say the shooting was done by three or four men. A portion of Miller's head was torn away and his body was riddled with buckshot. He lived for half an hour in this condition, though was unconsious. If he saw and recognised his assallants, he was never able to give their names. Miller came to Ouachita parish several years ago and purchased land and settled in the Bristle Ridge section. He came here from Montana. With his oldest son he engaged in farming and stock raising. Some months ago he was accused of stealing hogs and cattle and was indicted by the grand jury on the cattle steating charge. He remained in jail several months, being un able to furnish bond. When his case was taken up for trial at the resent term of the district court he was aquitted of the charge, the evidence against him falling flat. District Attourney Odom filed a bill of information against Miller for the theft of some hogs, but he was not tried on this charge. While in Monroe yesterday afternoon Miller learned of the detruction of a barn on Mr. J. Harrison Rhymes place the night before and expressed regret because he feared suspicion would fall on him because of the enmity existing between him and Mr. Rhymes as a result of the charges against him for stealings hogs and cattle. He expressed an uneasiness and one friend tried to pursuade him to remain in town until this morning. He refused, however, and was killed as he entered the gate to his home. Miller is survived by a grown son and several small children. His death is no surprise to those who have followed the course of events in the Bristle Ridge section during the past year.

Monday, September 14, 1914

With sufficient evidence at hand to warrant an investigation, Judge Ben C. Dawkings ordered a special session of the grand jury to meet at 2 o'clock this afternoon to invistigate the assassinatin of Louis Miller at his home on Bristle Ridge Tuesday Night, September 8th, as he was returning home from a trip to Monroe. It is said there was a plot to kill Mr. Miller in Monroe Tuesday afternoon but friends learned of his danger and steered him away from the trouble at the same time urging him not to return home that night. Another plot to kill Miller in a DeSiard street saloon soon after he was released from jail was also frustrated, it is said. Failing in these plots to kill him after provoking a quarrel, Miller was waylaid as he entered the gate at the front of his home after dark and his body was riddled with bullets from several shot guns. District Attorney Fred M. Odom came to Monroe Thursday and instituted "John Doe" proceedings before Judge Dawkins and a large number of witnesses were heard during the three days the investigation lasted. Just what the nature of the evidence was neither the judge nor the district attourney would divulge, but it was such a nature that a call for a special grand jury investigation was made by Judge Dawkins. Court officers and citizens generally while recognizing that Miller was perhaps guilty of the offenses charged against him say there is no defence of the manner in which he was murdered. The authorities propose to push the invistigationto the very limit as they realize the the harm done to the community by such acts.

Wednesday, September 16th, 1914

The grand jury which was convened Monday to investigate the assassination of Louis Miller Tuesday night of last week, reported to Judge Dawkins that the evidence produced at the hearing was not sufficiently convincing and therefore no true bills against the men suspected could be returned. A large number of witnesses summoned from the Bristle Ridge section were examioned by the grand jury.