Montreal Wanderers win Stanley Cup

Kenora went ahead and added Alf Smith and Rat Westwick of Ottawa for the challenge, against the wishes of Mr. Foran.

The series was supposed to start on March 21 in Kenora, but Montreal protested the use of Smith and Westwick and wanted to play in Winnipeg. Foran ruled that both players were ineligible. The clubs went ahead and started the series on March 23 in Winnipeg. Mr. Foran was notified by the press (inaccurately) that Montreal had dropped its protest and that the clubs intended to play anyway. Mr. Foran threatened to take the Cup back to Ottawa:
If the two clubs ignore the instructions of the cup trustees by mutually agreeing to play against Westwick and Smith when both were positively informed these men were ineligible to participate in the present cup matches, the series will be treated as void, and the cup will be taken charge of by the trustees. It will remain in their possession till the various hockey leagues can educate themselves up to a standard where decent sport will be the order of the day.”[3]
The teams went ahead and played the series. However, Mr. Foran changed his mind after the Wanderers won the Cup, stating that the Wanderers could keep the Cup, because they had not rescinded their protest.

March 23, 1907
Montreal Wanderers 7–2 Kenora Thistles Winnipeg Arena

March 25, 1907
Kenora Thistles 6–5 Montreal Wanderers

Montreal wins total goals series 12 goals to 8

The Montreal Wanderers finished out the ECAHA season with a perfect 10-0 record and immediately sent a challenge to play the newly crowned champion, Kenora Thistles. The two-game, total-goal series would be played in Winnipeg after numerous disagreements between both clubs and the Cup Trustees. Kenora, fresh off winning their league championship, had brought in two players (Alf Smith and Harry Westwick) from Ottawa, which had caused most of the bickering. Even with the two Ottawa players, the Wanderers proved to be too much, carving out a 7-2 victory, led by Ernie Russell's four goals. The Thistles fought back hard in game two, but the five goals were too much to overcome, so despite winning the game, 6-5, the Stanley Cup was quickly returned to the Wanderers.