Ottawa Silver Seven win Stanley Cup

The 1903–04 Ottawa Hockey Club season, the club's 19th season of play, lasted from December 30, 1903 until March 11, 1904.

Ottawa resigned from the CAHL after four games and played only Stanley Cup challenges for the rest of the season, winning them all.

The season started out with Ottawa winning their first four games. A home game with Quebec was postponed when Quebec could not travel due to a severe snowstorm.
In their third game against the Victorias at Westmount's arena, the Ottawa team arrived 1 1/2 hours late due to a loss of their baggage. The game was called at midnight due to a curfew, with Ottawa ahead 4–1, with 16 minutes left to play. Ottawa and the Victorias had disagreed on substitution for injured players instead of 'recuperation time' and the Victorias used 43 minutes of injury time, which the Ottawa club complained was a stalling tactic to get the game canceled as Ottawa was ahead.[1]
One week later, the League met to reschedule the Quebec-Ottawa game. At the meeting, the League levied a $10 fine against Ottawa for its lateness to the Victorias game, and a fine to the Montreal Shamrocks for lateness to a game in Ottawa. The League then discussed the Ottawa-Victoria match and ordered it to be rescheduled. J. P. Dickson, Ottawa's representative to the meeting, had proposed that it only be played if the match mattered in the standings and threatened to take Ottawa out of the league if the league went ahead and forced the game to be played.[1]
The threat failed, and Dickson called a meeting of the Club back in Ottawa to discuss the situation. The Club executive, against Bob Shillington's wishes agreed to pull the Club out of the league. The team executive was concerned about losing its status as Stanley Cup champions over the matter and consulted with P. D. Ross who agreed that the Cup would stay with Ottawa. The Federal Amateur Hockey League (FAHL) was consulted and Ottawa would join the FAHL for the next season. The Club then submitted its resignation from the CAHL.[1]
After leaving the CAHL, the Ottawas played only one game other than a Cup challenge, an 18—1 exhibition win over the Ottawa Capitals of the FAHL.[2]

Winnipeg vs. Ottawa

December 30, 1903 Ottawa
9–1 Winnipeg Rowing Club
Aberdeen Pavilion, Ottawa

January 1, 1904
Winnipeg Rowing Club 6–2 Ottawa

January 4, 1904
Ottawa 2–0 Winnipeg Rowing Club

Ottawa wins best-of-three series 2 games to 1

February 23, 1904
Ottawa 6–3 Toronto Marlboros Aberdeen Pavilion, Ottawa

February 25, 1904
Ottawa 11–2 Toronto Marlboros
Ottawa wins best-of-three series 2 games to 0

Wanderers vs. Ottawa
Ottawa was committed to play a two-game series with the Federal Amateur Hockey League champion Montreal Wanderers, and played the first game in Montreal to a tie of 5–5. Montreal refused to play overtime, and refused to play a second two-game series, ordered by the trustees to be held in Ottawa.

March 2, 1904 Ended in a 5–5 tie Montreal Arena

Ottawa wins series; Montreal is disqualified for refusing to play games in Ottawa
[edit]Brandon vs. Ottawa
To finish the season, Ottawa played a series with Brandon Wheat Cities, champions of the Manitoba & Northwestern Hockey Association. Ottawa would win the two-game series 6–3, 9–3 (15–6), held in

Ottawa on March 9–11.

March 9, 1904 Ottawa 6–3 Brandon Wheat Cities
Aberdeen Pavilion, Ottawa

March 11, 1904 Ottawa 9–3 Brandon Wheat Cities
Ottawa wins best-of-three series 2 games to 0