Frank Lloyd Wright Establishes His Own Practice
After leaving Louis Sullivan, Wright established his own practice on the top floor of the Sullivan designed Schiller Building (1892, demolished 1961) on Randolph Street in Chicago.
Wright chose to locate his office in the building because the tower location reminded him of the office of Adler & Sullivan. Although Cecil Corwin followed Wright and set up his architecture practice in the same office, the two worked independently and did not consider themselves partners. Within a year, Corwin decided that he did not enjoy architecture and journeyed east to find a new profession.
Wright stayed with Adler and Sullivan until 1893, when his growing number of independent commissions convinced his employers that he was "moonlighting" and terminated him, based on company policy. Wright rebounded by opening his own firm, first operating from the Adler and Sullivan-designed Schiller Building, then the Steinway Building, and finally in 1898, a studio at his home in Oak Park.