In the 1930s, Ford's two European operations, based in Kln (Cologne), Germany and Dagenham, England had begun producing their own designs independent of the US parent company. One of the most significant and successful of these was English Ford's 8hp Model Y. Introduced in May 1932 priced at 120, the latter set new standards for cars in its class. Well equipped and comfortable, Ford's new baby featured all-steel bodywork, a ruggedly built 933cc sidevalve engine producing 22bhp - an output good enough to push the car along at over 60mph - and a three-speed gearbox with synchromesh on the top two gears. The design was improved year by year, yet Ford managed to reduce the price to just 100 in October 1935, by which time the Y had been re-named "Popular". Production continued until the arrival of the new Ford Eight in 1937. By this time there was a more powerful and faster 10hp version in the range; powered by an 1,172cc engine and slightly larger, but built along broadly similar lines. This 10hp car was manufactured in England as the model C/CX from 1935 to 1937 and the 7W during 1937/38. The 10hp Ford was also manufactured in Germany where it was marketed as the "Eifel", over 60,000 of which were built between 1935 and 1939.
This Ford Eifel wears roadster coachwork by Karmann & Deutch, and was completely restored (including the bodywork) in 2002-2004 in the South of France. Similar to one that competed in period in the Monte Carlo Rally, this example has been entered by its owner in several historic events including Le Rallye des Tulipes. The car has enjoyed only three owners, the first in Germany from 1937 to 1965 and the second from 65 to 2004 when it was purchased by the vendor. Sensibly upgraded with an electric fan, the car comes with an original owner's handbook, numerous invoices and French Carte Grise. Offered without reserve.