1. Evangelist tells Christian to leave his home in the City of Destruction.
2. Christian sinks in the Slough of Despond because his burden is too heavy.
3. He arrives at Wicket Gate, and Goodwill saves him from Beelzebub's arrow.
4. Goodwill tells Christian that his burden will come off on its own.
5. Interpreter shows Christian his home and all that is in it.
6. The sight of the cross eased his burden.
7. Christian encounters Apollyon.
8. He enters the Valley of the Shadow of Death, but his faith in Christ keeps him strong.
9. Christian and Faithful enter Vanity where Faithful is burned at the stake for defending his faith.
10. He and Hopeful make the mistake of taking a shortcut to the Celestial City.
11. A Shining One rescues Christian and Hopeful from Flatterer's trap.
12. Christian begins to sink in the river in front of the city gate.
13. Hopeful reminds him that Jesus Christ is waiting for him in the Celestial City, and Christian perseveres.
14. The king commands that the gate be opened for the two.
15. Christian and Hopeful enter the city and are clothed in garments of gold.